The Order Entry UI is an OpenMRS feature that allows medical personnel to add orders through the user interface(UI). This document would guide you on how to use the application to create Drug Orders for patients. Order Entry UI also supports creating Lab Orders for patients, this is a link to the guide on how to create Lab Order.
The Order Entry UI application should look like this when the page first loads:
The page has the following sections:
- A button to select the type of order you want to add.
- A drop-down to filter the list of orders displayed in a table below it.
- A table presenting all the orders created through the application, each row on the table represents an order. The row is actually an accordion that is collapsed by default, when you click on a row it would expand showing you the full details of the order.
- The table has the following column:
- Date: This column displays the date/time that an order was created.
- Details: This column displays the details of an order
- Status: This column displays the status of an order.
- Actions: This column shows the buttons representing the possible actions that can be performed on an order.
A video tutorial to walk you through the user interface can be found here
Accessing the Order Entry User Interface
The order entry user interface can only be accessed when the user is logged in so the user will always be redirected to the login page. When logged in, the following guideline will help you access the Order Entry User Interface
- From the openMRS application home page, click on "Find patient record" as shown below:
- Search for the appropriate patient by ID or by Name and the select the appropriate patient as shown below:
- On the patient details page, click on the highlighted link on "Prescribed Medication" provides access to the order entry ui application
Placing a drug order
A video tutorial for this guide can be found here
A drug order is placed through the following steps:
- Select the Drug Orders option form the list of possible orders to add:
- Search for a drug by typing the first three characters of the drug name in the search bar as shown below:
- Select the drug from the available suggestions
- A dosage form with standard dosage(default) and free text tabs will be displayed as shown below:
The free text dosage form should appear as shown below:
- Populate the all the fields as required and the "add" button shall be activated as shown below:
- Click on the add button to add the order to unsaved draft orders as shown below:
The User can discard the order by clicking on the "discard" button or save the order by clicking on "Sign and Save"
The User can also edit the order by clicking on the edit icon in the actions and this will display a pre-populated edit form.
- Click the sign and save button to submit the drug order and the order will appear under orders list table as shown below:
Editing an active drug order
A drug order is edited/updated through the following steps:
- Click on the edit icon that appears in the actions column of the drug order as highlighted below:
- A dosage form with pre-populated values will be displayed, make the necessary changes and click on "Add"
- The next steps are similar to the ones for placing an order from 6 to 7.
- The edited order will appear in the orders list after saving.
Discontinuing an active drug order
A drug order can be discontinued through the following steps
- Click on the discontinue icon that appears in the actions column of active orders as highlighted below
- A confirmation box would appear. If you click "OK" in the confirmation box, you would have to provide the appropriate reason for deleting the order:
Placing multiple drug orders
The user can add more than one order to the unsaved draft orders table and then "Sign and Save" all drug orders at once as shown below
A full playlist of video tutorial posted above can be accessed from here. Enjoy!!!