The Manage App Definitions app allows implementers to add or remove applications to the system without having to build a module. This app is in it's first iteration and is a little rough around the edges. We hope this page provides a good understanding of available App Definitions. If you have trouble ask a question on Ask OpenMRS. This feature is available in OpenMRS v 2.2.
- Navigate to System Administration>Manage Apps
- The table on this screen lists all apps that are currently running in the Reference Application.
- App ID: is the name of the app
- Status: The status of the app (Enabled/Disabled)
- Type: This describes if the app was built-in to the Reference Application or a custom definition
- Actions: This allows you to start, stop or edit the app. Note, you can only edit the app if it's not built-in. This is critical if you wish to replace functionality in a particular app. For example, you can adjust the registerPatient app to allow your team to enter manual patient identifiers. To do this, you would have to add the app definition, start it under actions and stop the referenceapplication.registrationapp.registerPatient App ID. (More on that below)
Add App Definition
OpenMRS utilizes app templates that standardize the configuration for apps. Templates are available in the source code of each app provider which is often available on the OpenMRS github page. We have tried to define templates on this page for ease of use.
The green button "Add App Definition" allows you to add your own app.
App Definition Explanation
Each app definition has to have an App ID. This is the piece of information that differentiates your app from others in the system. Good practice is to start your App ID with the term "myApp" as suggested in the App ID box. Most apps have "Extensions" and "Configuration Options." Extensions define the app properties and the extension point so the system knows where the app will be placed. Configuration Options are available for some apps based on the team that created them. These configuration options are often available as templates found in the github repository of each app module. We have done our best to provide links on this page to each github repository with configuration options a well as examples of the active apps in v.2.2 of OpenMRS.
App ID: referenceapplication.registrationapp.registerPatient
The Register Patient App is found in the openmrs-module-registrationapp. The template definition can be found at this link, which describes the config fields. The code pasted in the following code block is what's currently used in the Reference Application app definition found here (note that the square brackets before and after should not be used).
App ID: coreapps.findPatient
The Find Patient App is found in the openmrs-module-coreapps. The template definition can be found at this link, which describes the config fields. The code pasted in the following code block is what's currently used in the Reference Application app definition found here (note that the square brackets before and after should not be used).