2015 GSoC Project Idea
This project is being considered as a potential project for Google Summer of Code 2015. If you are a potential intern and are interested in working on this project, please discuss it in detail with the mentor(s) listed here before submitting your internship proposal.
The purpose of this project is to enhance the OpenMRS FHIR module by improving its usability, security and error management features.
OpenMRS has recently undertaken a commitment to implement FHIR in order to ensure better interoperability between healthcare systems. The OpenMRS FHIR module was developed as part of these efforts. Currently, there is need to develop the following features for the FHIR module:
- Add Oauth based security for the module to communicate with third party systems
- Demonstrate the success of an Oauth implementation by demonstrating its use against SMART platform apps
- Add web based interfaces (akin to those implemented by the OpenMRS web services module) for users to be able to test / explore their sample messages
- Add an error management console for interacting with failed requests
- Good Java skills
- Familiarity with J2EE web programming (e.g., JSPs)
- Ability to learn and work with FHIR and the HAPI
- Familiarity / willing to learn Oauth
- Soft skills to interact with the HAPI and FHIR community in order to gather requirements and technical feedback
- Develop Oauth based security for the OpenMRS FHIR module
- Develop front end configuration and test screens akin to the OpenMRS Web Services module
- Develop an error console to view and manage failed FHIR requests