Use your software career to make a real difference in >40 countries around the world! Work remotely with developers all over the globe.
Our Mission: OpenMRS Inc. is a non-profit that supports the OpenMRS Community in our mission to improve health care delivery in resource-constrained environments by creating a robust, scalable, user-driven, open source medical record system platform.
We Are Looking For: Someone to help us maintain, upgrade, and improve our growing infrastructure. If you’re passionate about anticipating developer needs and preparing for scale, you’re looking in the right place.
Infra Tech Stack: Ansible, Puppet, Terraform, OpenStack (JetStream2 Cloud), Datadog, Docker, Ubuntu, nginx, the Atlassian suite (Bamboo, Confluence, Jira), JFrog Artifactory, GitHub Actions, Discourse, Wordpress, LDAP, and MySQL.
- Responsible for proactively leveraging tools to make managing our infrastructure as easy as possible.
- Prepare OpenMRS to be ready for the cloud. This includes working closely with the backend lead to help design OpenMRS so that it can leverage current best practices for deploying to the cloud.
- Serve as a devops expert for implementers, to provide guidance on deploying and maintaining OpenMRS.
- Security: Reviews, triages, delegates, and addresses incoming security issues. Manages and prioritizes a backlog of known security issues, both for keeping community infrastructure secure, and to improve OpenMRS EMR system readiness for internal and external penetration-test-style audits. Add and manage supportive tools such as stack iptables and security scanners.
- Maintain community infrastructure:
- Maintain critical tools the community relies on (and their related servers) such as Discourse, Atlassian suite: Confluence, Jira, Bamboo (without this we can’t release software), openmrs.org, all om.rs links, demo & qa environments, JetStream server uptime
- Supports & ensure successful maintenance of all OpenMRS login services such as our LDAP Server
- Respond to and troubleshoot downtimes of community assets
Must Have Requirements
- Relevant Skills & Experience:
- Ansible experience. Nice to have experience with Puppet.
- Terraform experience
- Docker expertise
- Atlassian experience (specifically Confluence, Bamboo, and Jira)
- LDAP, OAuth2 experience; some knowledge of SAML (for authentication maintenance and improvements)
- Knowledge of scripting languages commonly used for infrastructure maintenance such as Bash, Python or Ruby
- Knowledge about different security threats, network security, SSO protocols (OpenID, SAML), good familiarity with owasp.org
- Communicator and Team-Player: Can clearly communicate complex technical concepts to both technical and non-technical audiences. Good at building camaraderie and consensus on public forums. Demonstrated ability to explain priorities amidst competing goals. Excellent written communication skills (e.g. forum posts and RFCs are helpful). Proficiency in the English language, both written and verbal, sufficient for success in a remote and largely asynchronous work environment. Willing to work across multiple time zones.
Nice-to-Have Requirements (not required)
- Experience working with a global or otherwise multicultural team.
- Experience with internal and/or external security audits, penetration testing.
- Relevant sector experience, such as awareness of EMR goals, and challenges specific to healthcare; and/or, experience with an LMIC setting and challenges in low-resource sites.
- Open-source collaborative software development past experience, e.g. contributions to major open source projects.
- Willingness and ability to travel internationally
- Salary negotiable, commensurate with experience.
- This is a full-time, contract-based position.
- Start Date: Flexible between Oct-Dec 2022. Filling of this position is contingent upon expected funding.
How to Apply
Please go to our online application form to submit your information, a cover letter, and a CV/resume that addresses the responsibilities and skills outlined above.