Here's a quick summary of being Platform release manager (from Darius Jazayeri):
- Write a post that announces the release date and modules to be included on Talk under the Software category. Ask, if there is a need to release modules in order to include latest changes before the platform release.
- Verify that there are no unreviewed open tickets against the version to be released. You can use this query https://goo.gl/WXqrI3 (adjust the fixVersion).
- Review/close tickets that are in Post Commit Review.
- Look carefully at In Progress tickets to see, if some of them have not been committed to a branch (back ported) already. You need to review/close such tickets as well. You can easily check, if any code was committed by searching for an issue id on a GitHub comparison page at https://github.com/openmrs/openmrs-core/compare/2.0.4...2.0.x (adjust the versions).
- Move tickets to the next version that are In Progress or in Pre-Commit Review stage (use Manage Versions admin page for bulk moving of tickets, see the 4.a. step below).
- Create a new version for the next release. Using the Manage Versions in https://tickets.openmrs.org/plugins/servlet/project-config/TRUNK.
- Release the current version using the above admin page.
- When you release a version it will allow you to move non-closed tickets to the next version.
Download the latest CIEL for OpenMRS 1.9.x (use 1.9.x regardless of the release version) as described here. Upload the version to our maven repository to be used in standalone by running (adjust the version and the file parameters to match the downloaded version of CIEL):
mvn deploy:deploy-file -DgroupId=org.openmrs.contrib -DartifactId=ciel-dictionary -Dversion=1.9.9-20170409 -Dpackaging=zip -Dfile=openmrs_concepts_1.9.9_20170409.sql.zip -DrepositoryId=openmrs-repo-contrib -Durl=https://mavenrepo.openmrs.org/nexus/content/repositories/contrib
- Update the CIEL version in standalone's pom.
- Check if the branch to be released is green at https://ci.openmrs.org/browse/TRUNK and https://ci.openmrs.org/browse/OP-OPM/branches
- Do some last minute rudimentary testing as described in Testing Releases on snapshot artifacts published by CI.
- Release openmrs-core from CI by running the Release stage of the latest build for the corresponding branch at https://ci.openmrs.org/browse/TRUNK e.g. https://ci.openmrs.org/browse/TRUNK-OC2/latest (click the Play icon next to the Release stage on the left menu)
- Once the release build turns green, release the corresponding platform branch from CI at https://ci.openmrs.org/browse/OP-OPM/branches. Click on the green branch build number and run the Release stage. Override the "maven.release.version" variable to make sure it matches the release version of core.
In the file listing page on Sourceforge, open the recently released version, click the info "i" button next to the standalone to expand the details of the uploaded ZIP file. For "Download Button", type "OpenMRS Platform 2.0.5 Standalone". Under "Default Download For:" check all the option boxes. Click "Save" to save the settings.
- Create the release notes page as a child of Platform Release Notes and include JIRA filters showing all closed tickets (e.g. Platform Release Notes 1.11.1)
- Use Finding Database Changes Between Releases to put the db changes into the release notes page.
- Edit the Platform Release Notes page to include as content the new release notes page you just created, and updated it to give the new version number.
- Update the Releases page to include the new platform release, (replacing the prior version in the release line with this release)
- Update and modify the Downloads wiki page with the latest release notes page.
Create a help desk case with https://help.openmrs.org/customer/portal/emails/new at a minimum of one working day prior to the scheduled release providing download links. DO NOT mark Impact as anything other than "Routine."
Use the following template for description (replace 2.0.5 with the correct version, the release date & time and the JIRA url, which you can determine from https://issues.openmrs.org/browse/TRUNK/?selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.jira-projects-plugin:versions-panel):
Once helpdesk confirms all is set for the release, create a blog post on OpenMRS.org using your WordPress account. If you need an account, create a help desk case at https://help.openmrs.org/customer/portal/emails/new
In preparation for the release of OpenMRS Platform 2.0.5 on 21/04/2017 10:00 UTC please do: 1. Update http://openmrs.org/help/report-a-bug/ to allow bug reports for Platform 2.0.5. (Do not include the rest, if it is not the latest LTE branch release) 2. Update http://openmrs.org/download/ to point to Platform 2.0.5 standalone at http://sourceforge.net/projects/openmrs/files/releases/OpenMRS_Platform_2.0.5/openmrs-standalone-2.0.5.zip/download 3. Update http://openmrs.org/download/ to point to Platform 2.0.5 war at http://sourceforge.net/projects/openmrs/files/releases/OpenMRS_Platform_2.0.5/openmrs.war/download
- Create a new case at OpenMRS helpdesk requesting to update the OpenMRS.org home page and downloads page to the latest release. Please provide links to the downloads.
- Write a post that announces the released on Talk under Software category.
- With the exception of pre-releases, you need to release the version in jira, you will probably need admin privileges to do this, you can ask for them through the help desk or ask somebody with the privileges to help you release it in JIRA.
- Go to JIRA
- Click the Projects menu item and select OpenMRS Core (TRUNK) from the dropdown.
- You should see a menu on the left panel on the page that gets loaded, select Releases.
- In the Actions column click the row matching the version you're releasing and select Release from the little pop up menu.
- Set the release date and click the Release button, note that you might have to move any unresolved issues to the next release.
Troubleshooting (when not using CI for releasing)
- When doing release testing, creating standalone distributions can be a very quick and easy way.