Wiki Spaces

Documentation
Projects
Resources

Get Help from Others

Q&A: Ask OpenMRS
Discussion: OpenMRS Talk
Real-Time: IRC Chat | Slack

Resources

Page tree

Versions Compared

Key

  • This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.

Directory

Table of Contents
maxLevel2
excludeDirectory




Tip
titleHelpful Links

Where: TAC calls at om.rs/zoomtac

When: See the Community Calendar at om.rs/cal or this GCal event

Notes: Find this page at om.rs/tacnotes


Parking Lot: Topics for Subsequent Meetings

  1. Performance and Load Testing plan
  2. Immunization Modelling plan & workflow nuances
  3. Handling Relationships
  4. Community SSO & Auth Replacement (by Jayasanka, ensure Daniel, Raff)
  5. Updating the OpenMRS Contribution Policy
  6. EncounterContext plan - https://talk.openmrs.org/t/associating-data-with-the-correct-encounter/38062 & RDE Workflow Diagram (Fiona, Dave...) https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1lk3ApZLekTYsXPhJVuUjUq3r7MVKdbhtm13Q4KF1_Eg/edit#slide=id.p  

  7. Updates to OpenMRS tech stack diagram 

Meeting Notes

Goal of this meeting: Review technical/platform/product decisions; response to issues coming up from community and help set/endorse clear technical direction.
Zoom link: https://om.rs/zoomtac

Expand
titleDetailed Table of Contents

Table of Contents
maxLevel3
excludeDirectory

2023-11

2023-11-06

As of today: We have changed the name from "Technical Action Committee" to "Technical Architecture Committee". The TAC acronym remains the same. Community discussion and agreement here.  https://talk.openmrs.org/t/proposal-changing-name-to-technical-architecture-committee-tac/40767/6 

2023-07

2023-07-06

Attendees: Raff, Eudson, Dennis, Grace, Michael, Piumal

  • Updates from Raff:
    • Burp Suite Unblocked! Support team was able to unblock the issue with the login page though they aren't sure if it's running correctly. Trying on dev3 environment. 100,000 requests over 24hrs, so far load is being handled successfully (no crashes). Raff to share results w/ cmty when available and when he's confirmed w/ Burp Suite support team that they look as expected. 
    • FHIR Module: Issue with count not running fast enough. Solution: Cache account for subsequent queries, for all requests that return a list of resources. Whenever a response is returned, should be cached and reused. Raff needs to set docs to communicate this to implementers and change core to enable this feature by default. Already merged in FHIR module, awaiting release of FHIR module. Rafal Korytkowski to check in w/ Ian and then will lead releasing this. 
    • Docker Setup Documentation: Specific to the repos in their READMEs (core, distro repos) - Rafal Korytkowski hoping to finish this week. 
    • Running out of Memory of Bamboo Agents: Moved files around to differently partition the agents, freed up 5GB. 
  • Performance Issues:
    • Testing Upgrade: Raff to test v5 upgrade of esm-core, check for any performance issues we might have missed 
    • Pagination Slow: UCSF reports pagination component continues to be troublesome on frontend. E.g. table component here. Raff reckons Dropdown page changer on bottom right is culprit - need to replace with simple input field. Because get list of 1→1,000 if that's the # of pages! Dennis Kigen & Samuel Male to connect. Also need to check if this component performs better post-esm-core-v5 migration.
    • Benchmarking: This seems like the right time to set up. Loading times plus load testing: On backend, we test REST & FHIR API endpoints this way. Dennis Kigen to look into approaches we want to take for O3. 
  • Reviewed the Technical Architecture Diagram and made a few changes - much aesthetic improvements still required; Grace will try to get to this and will seek Cmty feedback on Talk when able. 

2023-06

2023-06-22

Attendees: Burke, Ian, Daniel, Michael, Raff, Eudson, Juliet, Grace

  1. Mitigation Strategy for known unsupported key library
    1. Approach goal is to make it easier for implementations to upgrade, avoid rewriting very large modules and avoid pulling out the rug from various implementations 
    2. Immediate Plan: Implement updated version of XStream in core - immediate security benefit - Rafal Korytkowski 
    3. Longer term plan: to migrate to Jackson, annotating classes we want to serialize; hard part will be migration path for data already saved in DB - Daniel Kayiwa 
  2. Plan to support Reference ranges for VS, Labs
    1. (neonates vs pediatrics vs adult; different ages like geriatrics, different genders...) - architecture? E.g. for Labs should it be the LIS we depend on to provide the reference range they use? (Although even then the EMR still should probably know what the reference range should be) → Discussed w/ OpenELIS; they do currently have ability to store multiple reference ranges, but if that doesn't exist for something, they defer to whatever the EMR is using. → So yes, EMR really should have some way of representing this. 
    2. Burke's proposal, leveraging how FHIR handles this: https://talk.openmrs.org/t/adding-support-for-population-based-reference-ranges-in-openmrs/39931 (means consistent syntax; hopefully less headaches for implementers who need to keep ref ranges consistent across EMR ↔ LIS ↔ etc)
    3. Next steps?
      1. Low hanging fruit (getting interpretation coded)
      2. Add these additional tables as part of next Platform Release (2.7) this year (smile)  Daniel Kayiwa  add to Platform Roadmap

2023-02

2023-02-16

Attendees: Burke, Daniel, Grace, Herman, Jen, Joshua, Mike, Sarguroh Tasmiya, Suruchi, J Thembo, Vineet

  1. Standups
    1. Ian, Jayasanka, Grace: Operation Stabilize
    2. Suruchi: ANC User Research, CQL Engine unblocking, ANC User Guides, mf'd (non-OWA) OCL Subscription module release - decision: Daniel will create additional links for module
    3. Daniel: Cmty support, CDS CQL Engine - optimizing CQL-API Module (was 200MBs, reducing libraries; now 30MBs)
    4. Vineet: Drug Order Basket wrap up, Patient Registration; next: Address Hiearchy component
    5. Raf: Best practice dockerization of pipeline & stack; getting close
  2. Vision: In next 2-3 mos, complete O3 refapp MVP as out-of-the-box, ready to go Outpatient EMR, w/ adequate metadata for primary/walk-in care
    1. AMA :+1:
  3. Review of Ethiopia Hackathon technical objectives - Grace, Eudson
  4. Platform Roadmap
    1. In 3 weeks will have update
  5. O3 Admin UI vs placeholder
    1. To discuss in more detail on O3 design call this coming monday

2023-02-09

Attendees: Burke, Daniel, Nicholas, Antony, Bett, Simon, Derrick, Ian, MSeaton, Nathan, Samuel,Andrew, Jacinta, Suruchi...

Recording: https://iu.mediaspace.kaltura.com/media/t/1_70h8i3i1 

Interoperability Layer for OpenMRS

AMPATH, Palladium and Health IT teams from Kenya have a requirement to extract registration and visits data from openmrs and share with the Ministry of health by sending to a HL7/Fhir based SHR.

This was initially shared in a talk post here This meeting together with discussions on the thread aims to discuss how to build a robust and scalable integration platform to do the following:

(1) Detect and extract data changes from OpenMRS

(2) Translate extracted data to an agreed formart eg Fhir

(3) Aggregate data into a sharable message with participating systems within an integration

Two debezium data extraction stategies were sugested

a. Inbuilt within OpenMRS as a module 

b. Independent service outside OpenMRS

The team agreed that both approaches are valid and best suited for different use cases, while building the integrations pipelines, the team to focus more on abstracting logic into libraries that can easily be used with both strategies.

While low level changes extracted by Debezium is well suited for a data warehouse, while integrating with systems such as lab and pharmacy, we need to construct customized messages from these low level records streamed by Debezium;

there were suggestions to use windowing mechanisms to help consolidate individual related DB messages into a complete message which will then be converted to Fhir bundle which is shared with an external system


Useful links

  1. OpenMRS EIP module - uses debezium with pache Camel, independent service outside OpenMRS
  2. DBEvents module by PIH - uses debezium to detect and emit db events. Built as a module in OpenMRS
  3. OpenHIM - middleware for data exchange
  4. Meeting Recording

2023-02-02

Attendees: Daniel, Grace, Hadijah, Anjula, Rafal, Romain, Juliet, Vineet, Burke, Mike, Mark, Piumal, Dennis, Ian, Eudson, Fred, Jayasanka, Pius, Joshua, Herman, Joshua

Form Engine Discussion

  • 90% of what's in React Engine is what Angular Engine already supports, with a few additional features that Angular Eng didn't have. If we stop needing to support Angular out of the box, we can reduce the app shell file size ++ (b/c we currently embed ++ files we need to run Angular) - would no longer need this in all distros!

Decisions: 

  • TAC Blessing: Approved (smile) With following requirements: 
    • Not Block O3 RefApp Releases: For now we will continue using Ampath in the RefApp. 
    • Schema: Need definition people can reference and make comments/PRs to. E.g. HFE Schema tag references has proven ++ valuable: HTML Form Entry Module Reference 
    • Technology Audit: e.g. formik has died off (was major react library for years) - if we're using assets like this we should test running w/ alternative(s) like React Form Hooks (& a few hours refactoring if needed) → UCSF will start looking at the cost of changing, next week
  • Next steps: UCSF team will start this work; tickets will be created on what needs to be done, including work to generic-ize some of the Fx originally made specific for OHRI

Encounters Modelling given O3 Components

  • Bahmni addressed this by having time-outs for Encounters; if same provider does an action on a patient in a location within the time limit, all those actions they took get bundled within the same encounter. Mekom finds this does not work well. Agreement that this is not the approach we'd like. 
  • Or: Chart tracks some encounter-context → Burke's proposal to add "Encounter Session

2023-01

2023-01-26

Attendees: 

Recording: ______

  1. Standups: 
    1. Vineet - fixes on Patient Summary, enforcing visits to order drugs, fix to Address Hierarchy bug that was clearing fields
    2. Suruchi - CQL & ANC project work
    3. Ian - Rest authentication issue i.d.'d by Bahmni, fix for recent Security issue reported, pr reviews
    4. Dennis - releases on esm repos, cohort builder app, improvement to how obs grabbed from encounter get displayed in 
  2. Vision for 1 Form Engine: Intro & Heads up for next week’s deep dive - @grace & @eudson
  3. MedicationRequest blockers: Mapping MedicationRequest.validityPeriod.start and MedicationRequest.authoredOn from an OpenMRS order, see Duration and auto-expire date on orders - #14 by mogoodrich - @mogoodrich
    1. We will move forward with the suggestions in this ticket:
      Jira
      serverOpenMRS Issues
      serverId45c5771b-fa4b-3e43-b34a-c19dc45ccc95
      keyFM2-552
       
      1. order.dateCreated maps to MedicationRequest.authoredOn (and vice versa)
      2. order.dateActivated maps to MedicationRequest.dispenseRequest.validityPeriod.start (and vice versa)
    2. Empty Encounters - Vineet
      1. Concern: Each clinical encounter should ideally be attached to a single OMRS encounter, so everything a clinician does for a patient is documented in the same encounter. Should be clear which encounter they're working within. 
      2. Plan: 
        1. Design Call: This encounter issue is something we need to bring up on a design call, because I’m unsure what the UI flow should be, but we need something similar to what we do with starting a visit.
        2. TAC Call f/u and confirm technical plan
  4. FHIR valueSets: Best practice ways to tag and refer to FHIR Value Sets? Global properties that reference uuids? ESM configs that reference uuids? some sort of tags? - @mogoodrich
    1. questions about the current mapping of concept sets to value sets (FM2-450) - resolved
  5. New O3 Release Cadence Kick-Off: what we want to include in the first new release this year for O3 → Deferred to O3 Planning call (1hr after this call)

2023-01-19

Attendees: Jayasanka, Grace, Burke, Suruchi, Rafal, Dennis, Daniel K (all OMRS), Ian (Brown), komit (?), Steven Wanyee (intellisoft), Eudson Bambo, Wamz, Amos (all UCSF/OHRI), jonathan thembo (vol), Mark G (PIH), Joshua N (vol), Vineet (Mekom), Fred (ICRC Service Centre), Hadijah (Mekom), Kenneth Ochieng (IntelliSOFT)

Recording: https://iu.mediaspace.kaltura.com/media/t/1_2pkc25tb 


Share recording w/ all, inc. Amos

    • Release Dockerization - Raff
      • Documentation to follow to come. Updates on Talk. And in 2 wks. Anncouncemtn of these images being available. Mark (PIH) and Fred (ICRC) and Amos (UCSF/OHRI) want to use.  

    • OSV-Scanner decision - Grace & Daniel
    • O3 Release flow  - getting to Beta
    • Config separation → Ian to look into splitting off config from distro
    • O3 Performance issues - Dennis & Jayasanka
      • Bundlesize analysis of esm-core: 
      • esm-patient-chart:
        • The good news: We have bundle size monitoring set up for all our repos. Big question now is how to tackle this problem. This is Dennis' next focus. 
    • Date Config - Grace