OpenMRS is excited to be a mentoring organization for Google Summer of Code™ Docs™ 2019! Since 2007, we've enjoyed participating in this great program and we're extremely excited about the projects and mentorship opportunities available this year. Coding for OpenMRS is a great way to practice your coding skills and, at the same time, help benefit people in developing countries who are on the front lines of the battle against HIV/AIDS, TB, Malaria, and other public health challenges. For a more detailed history of who were are and what we do, please see here.
|On this page ....|
Welcome to Season of Docs!
Together, we raise public awareness of open source docs, of technical writing, and of how we can work together to the benefit of the global open source community.
See here for more info on the full GSoD 2019 program timeline.
- PASSED March 11, 2019 Season of Docs program announced
- NOW April 2, 2019 at 20:00 UTC Mentoring organizations can begin submitting applications to Google
- AWAITING April 23, 2019 at 20:00 UTC Deadline for organization applications
- AWAITING April 30, 2019 at 12:00 UTC April 30, 2019 at 12:00 UTC Google publishes the list of accepted mentoring organizations
- AWAITING April 30 - May 28, 2019 UTC Interested technical writers discuss project ideas with mentoring organizations
- AWAITING May 29, 2019 at 18:00 UTC Start of technical writer application period
- AWAITING July 30, 2019 at 18:00 UTC Google announces the accepted technical writer projects
- AWAITING August 1 - September 1, 2019 Technical writers get to know mentors, get up to speed with the open source organization, and refine their projects in collaboration with mentors
- AWAITING September 2, 2019 Doc development officially begins!
- AWAITINGSeptember 2, 2019 - November 22, 2019 Technical writers work on their project with guidance from mentors
- AWAITING November 25 - 29, 2019 at 18:00 UTC Final week: Technical writers submit their final work products and their mentor evaluations
- AWAITING December 10, 2019 December 10, 2019 Google announces the results of Season of Docs 2019
- AWAITING February 24 - 28, 2020 at 18:00 UTCFinal week for long-running projects: technical writers and mentors submit their final work products and evaluations
- AWAITINGMarch 6, 2020 Google adds the long-running projects to the results of Season of Docs 2019
How does it work?
Here's the high-level workflow of the Season of Docs program:
Organization administrators are members of the participating open source organizations who act as the principal Season of Docs contact for their organization. The organization administrators submit the organization’s application to take part in Season of Docs, manage the mentors within their organizations, make sure the technical writing projects stay on track, handle the paperwork, and manage the distribution of the mentor stipend. See the administrator guide and responsibilities
Open source mentors are members of the participating open source organizations who’re accepted as mentors for this year’s Season of Docs. The mentors work closely with the technical writers to help ensure a successful project. See the mentor guide and responsibilities.
Technical writers are technical writers worldwide who’re accepted to take part in this year’s Season of Docs. Applicants must be able to demonstrate prior technical writing experience by submitting role descriptions and work samples. See the technical writer guide and responsibilities.
Google program administrators are program managers within Google who run the Season of Docs program.
Expectations of Technical Writers
|Project Name||Mentor||Wiki Page|
|Create Github Documentation for REST API|
|Developing Document templates for all OMRS content|
|Review and Refactor existing Wiki to be more User profile driven|