To demonstrate how Malawi is using a multi-partner and multi-funded approach to develop, implement, and support a national implementation of OpenMRS.
To expand the OpenMRS community practices to support quality assurance processes (i.e. release testing, stakeholder acceptance testing, module gardening team, etc.)
To identify the ways to measure a “successful high quality implementation” of OpenMRS and why it is important to go beyond just software development features and bug fixes.
To understand ways in which OpenMRS outputs can be used to positively impact the quality of clinical care and the quality of programs that support care.
Who should attend
- People new to OpenMRS who want to connect to others using the platform around the world
- Experienced OpenMRS implementers who want to share their experiences and learn from others
- OpenMRS platform developers – anyone building systems to integrate with or extend OpenMRS
- Developers of related health and healthcare application software
- Health practitioners, researchers and publishers
Why you should attend
This event provides an opportunity for developers to collaborate and improve their technical skills in OpenMRS, implementers to share their best practices from implementations, and users to propose and prioritize their top features in future releases of the software. The event will also include visits to OpenMRS implementation sites along with a discussion afterward for participants to share their experience and suggestions
To register for OMRS17, please CLICK HERE.
The conference will be structured in a semi-unconference format - each conference date will comprise with a number of pre-determined sessions/events, followed by open slots for the audience to propose sessions of their choice.
For the events scheduled, visit:
Propose session ideas
It’s an unconference! If you've never been to an unconference before, imagine a traditional conference with incredibly useful chats with colleagues in the small breaks between dry presentations with one person talking in from of a room of people checking their email and then take away the dry presentations and fill the conference with the incredibly useful interactions. That's your unconference, where attendees determine the agenda.
If you're attending OMRS17, start sharing your ideas now for sessions you'd like to see at the conference:
- Unconference Sessions: One-hour group discussions on a topic of interest to the group. Have a suggestion for something that should be discussed in one of these sessions? Submit your session idea(s) at ....
- Lightning Talks: An hour-long session where a dozen presenters each get no more than 5 minutes to stand up a present to the group. We get introduced to some of the great work the community is doing in the lightning talk session. These are a great way to introduce work or ideas to the community to spark greater interest. If you have something you'd like to share, make sure you can fit your ideas within the strictly enforced 5-minute limit and propose your lightning talk at ....
- Demonstrations. The demonstrations session is an opportunity for people to set up a "booth" (e.g., a laptop ± any materials) in a room and demonstrate their ideas/work to small groups visiting each demonstration. You would end up giving a brief presentation multiple times to small groups of attendees with the opportunity to answer their questions and discover new collaborative opportunities. If you want to demonstrate your work, register your interest at ....
The traditional OpenMRS hackathon will be held during the 2 days after the event, 15-16 December, 2017. The hackathon is free for developers to attend, but separate registration is required because space is limited.
If you are attending the OMRS17 Hackathon, join the discussion on hackathon ideas at ....
We are currently finalizing a list of implementation sites that attendees will be able to visit. More details will be updated shortly.
If you are attending OMRS17 or wish you could but cannot and want to keep in touch with people at the conference:
- Join us on Telegram at ...(or ...).
- Tweet using the #OMRS17 hashtag.
Event Planning Resources
Session Action Items
Traveling to Malawi
Visas and invitation letters
Malawi Contact Person:
Project Management Team Leader
MoH/Bill & Melinda Gates Kuunika "Data for Action" Project
Central Monitoring and Evaluation Division
Ministry of Health
P.O. Box 30377
Cell: +265 (0) 995 450 499
Recommended and required vaccinations can be found on the CDC website.
Overlooking Malawi Square is The President Walmont Hotel, the first ever 5-star hotel in Malawi. It has a large reception area, beautiful lobby bar, relaxing lounge and is home to the elegant Wild Orchid Restaurant, which serves local and international delicacies and a superb selection of wines. The President Walmont Hotel houses a gym, spa and the Afroma Terrace Bar where sundowners are served in the bar or at the outdoor lounge that overlooks the entire precinct. Please do not attempt to book your accommodation through this site. Please follow the instructions here:
Please send your request to firstname.lastname@example.org and identify yourself with the conference name 'OMRS17'.The hotel is able to take a credit card to secure the room and then charge payment when the you check in. Please be advised that payment can be through bank transfer or credit card guarantee and rooms without deposit will be cancelled.
- Shared Room Price: $78/night (per person)
- Single Room Price: $126/night
Sponsorship packages begin at $1,000 $500.00 USD and can be customized based on the goals and available budget of the sponsoring organization.
Sponsorship packages can include the following:
Complimentary conference registrations
Prominent sign recognition in conference registration area
Name or logo on screen before plenary sessions
Named sponsor for lightning talk or cultural entertainment event
Named sponsor for coffee and tea breaks
Recognition during keynote talks
Organization listed on "conference sponsor" section on website including logo and
Logo on conference t-shirt or lanyard
We have tiered sponsorship packages that can be seen here.
Please contact email@example.com for more information.