How to Article
Michael Margolis (UX Research Partner at) outlines a simple approach to creating a UX Lab.
His most recently updated article on this subject is from February 11, 2019 on Medium: How to build a simple UX lab anywhere.
"Stuff" Needed for Tablet UX Testing Setup
- Such as IPEVO V4K Ultra High Definition USB, $99 (Amazon link)
- Greg: Michale Margolis recommends this one in every video and blogpost he has written. It must be good.
- Such as TONOR Conference USB Microphone ($19) (Amazon link)
- Greg: suggested because its inexpensive with good reviews
- Such as Logitech C270 Desktop or Laptop Webcam, HD 720p Widescreen for Video Calling and Recording (Amazon link)
- Greg: I like this one because it's inexpensive, and very simple. Appears least likely to intimidate someone. There isn't a large red 'record' dot on it, nor a giant silver lens.
A really lightweight lab....
If you don't have the above equipment, use your cell phone to record the user interacting with the prototype.
Harry Brignull, 90 Percent of Everything