- With OpenMRS 1.8 it is necessary to increase the Tomcat Permgen memory before deploying OpenMRS. More information: https://wiki.openmrs.org/display/docs/Troubleshooting+Memory+Errors
Windows:Ensure that Tomcat is started by checking to see if icon in the tray is green or by using this command on cmd: wmic.exe process list brief | find /i "tomcat"
- Download the latest stable release of OpenMRS.
- Navigate to http://localhost:8080/manager/html and enter your Tomcat administrator credentials (username and password chosen when installing Tomcat).
- In the Tomcat Web Application Manager, enter the location of the downloaded openmrs.war file. Once done, click on the "upload" button and OpenMRS should start deploying.
- The deployment may take some time while the file is being copied to the folder C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat <version>\webapps and decompressed.
- Note that the OpenMRS.war file is most easily downloaded with Mozilla Firefox. Internet Explorer tries to open the file as a Zip file.
At the end of this process, the web page will refresh and /openmrs should be displayed under Applications. Apache Tomcat should also start the application (Running = True; and in Commands, Stop is underlined)
Another way to do this is unzipping the .war file directly under webapps folder in Tomcat and then restarting it. You will be able to access http://localhost:8080/openmrs and the installation wizard will show.