What this module does
The module exposes the OpenMRS API as REST web services. if an OpenMRS instance is running the Webservices.REST module, other programs (and languages) can connect to retrieve and post certain information to an OpenMRS database.
Source at: https://github.com/openmrs/openmrs-module-webservices.rest
Download at: https://addons.openmrs.org/#/show/org.openmrs.module.webservices-rest
Required OpenMRS Version
The REST Web Services module requires at least OpenMRS 1.9.0 or 1.8.1 to run.
Basic Configuration Options
|webservices.rest.maxResultsDefault||This setting determines the maximum number of resources that can be accessed on any webservice call. The default is 50.|
|webservices.rest.maxResultsAbsolute||This setting determines the absolute maximum number of resources that can be accessed on any web service call. If the client requests more than this limit, then receives an error. The default is 1000.|
This should point at the root of your exposed web application. This is typically http://localhost:8080/openmrs during testing, but after being deployed will be something like http://192.168.1.100/openmrs or http://yourdomainname.org/openmrs.
If this is empty or not filled in, the user will see NEEDSTOBECONFIGURED/ws/rest/ as the "self" urls on all objects.
By default this is an empty string: "", which means anyone can access the rest URLs. If you put any IP addresses into this list, only calls from those are allowed. IPs should be separated by a whitespace or a comma.
IPs can be declared with bit masks to denote whole subdomains e.g. 10.0.0.0/30 matches 10.0.0.0 - 10.0.0.3 and 10.0.0.0/24 matches 10.0.0.0 - 10.0.0.255. Non matching IP addresses will receive a 403 HTTP error. Both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses are supported.
The module exposes the OpenMRS API through light-weight resource objects off of the core OpenMRS objects. The structure is very similar, but not guaranteed to match up exactly.
This module uses Spring 3 annotations to expose URLs. Primary transport language is currently JSON and XML (beta in 2.1).
For Creators of Web Service Core/Module Methods
Adding a Web Service Step by Step Guide for Core Developers
Adding a Web Service Step by Step Guide for Module Developers
For Web Service Client Developers
See REST Web Services API For Clients
Initial project page: Enhanced Web Services (Design Page)
Development sprint 1: 2011-05-16 Development Sprint
Followup sprint: 2011-05-30 Development Sprint
Development sprint 2: 2011-07-05 Development Sprint
Development sprint 3: 2013-02-07 Integration of RESTWS
Example Client code
- 2.13 Released January 7th 2016
- Add support for OpenMRS Platform 2.0.0 (beta)
- 2.9 Released January 15th 2015
Release Date: Wednesday November 26th 2014
2.7 represents version: 20afb1bcdbc46a75859e2c736a8651fa38614720
A huge thank you goes out to the following contributors: Daniel Kayiwa, Darius Jazayeri, Jon Skeet, Pawe? Muchowski, Rafal Korytkowski, Willa Ahmed, Wyclif Luyima
- [RESTWS-453] - Expose login locations via REST
- [RESTWS-455] - Add ConceptSearchResource
- [RESTWS-457] - orderfrequency resource should have a representation that includes the full concept representation
- [RESTWS-461] - Should automatically convert to Double
- [RESTWS-463] - encounter resource should let you create real-time encounters without explicitly specifying encounterDatetime
- [RESTWS-465] - Get inactive orders
- [RESTWS-451] - Nested custom type will fail with conversion exception
- [RESTWS-454] - deathDate property should be editable on the person resource
- [RESTWS-458] - orderfrequency resource should have display property
- [RESTWS-464] - encounter resource has a typo that prevents creating an encounter with orders easily
- [RESTWS-467] - Going to catalog API using JSON causes stack overflow due to subtypes
- [RESTWS-469] - NPE generating catalog
- [RESTWS-470] - Catalog incorrectly shows sub-resources
- [RESTWS-471] - A resource implementing Listable without Searchable fails in MainResourceController
- [RESTWS-281] - REST does not expose relationships or relationship_types
- [RESTWS-444] - Add brandName and dispenseAsWritten to DrugOrderSubclassHandler1_10
- [RESTWS-426] - REST can return a Patient representation when we want a Person rep
- [RESTWS-441] - User and concept search handlers do not work for OpenMRS 1.10
- [RESTWS-442] - ProviderSearchHandler should handle OpenMRS 1.10
- New Features
- RESTWS-392 - APIAuthenticationException handler always adds WWW-Authenticate header when user is not logged in.
- Bug Fixes
- Changed setMembers to full representation
- New Features
- [RESTWS-348] - Require that user have View REST WS Menu privilege to view the menu in the administration page
- [RESTWS-391] - Rest API to search drug by name
- Bug Fixes
- [RESTWS-373] - Incorrect Converter returned in ConversionUtil convertToRepresentation()
- [RESTWS-381] - Return object representation instead of id for person attribute
- [RESTWS-384] - restService.getSearchHandler fails with ClassCastException
- [RESTWS-389] - Cannot set location person attribute with uuid
- [RESTWS-390] - PersonAttributeTypeResource should render hydrated concept
- Better XML support (backwads incompatibility, see RESTWS-206)
- Replaced .../concept/<conceptname> with .../concept?name=<conceptname> (backwards incompatibility, see RESTWS-370)
- Additional search handlers
- Improvements to the catalog
- 2.0 (see Migration from REST 1.x to 2.x)
- Integrated Webservices.rest 1.9 extension module
- Removed controllers (single point of entry)
- Added search handlers
- Added support for Concept mappings
- (23 bugs/features fixed/added)
- Fixed concept.answers
- Fixed patient.identifiers
- Made more resources editable
- Added ability to return retired resources generally
- Added Provider and Visit support to the 1.9ext module
- Main functionality realized with no new bugs
- 0.9 (Beta)
- 0.8 (Alpha)
Download standalone with webservices module for an out of the box openmrs with rest web services ready to go.