The OpenMRS Messaging Module: Frequently Asked Questions
What is the messaging module?
The OpenMRS messaging module is the software being developed as a response to the requirements specification found here: [archive:It facilitates the delivery and acceptance of messages in or out of an OpenMRS installation.
What do I need to use the messaging module?
- An installed copy of OpenMRS.
- A copy of the messaging module from the module repository. 'Not yet available - check back for more information.'
- One or more methods you'd like to receive messages from. This can be:
- An SMSLib compatible modem with an account from your local telephony provider. For a list of compatible devices, see http://smslib.org/doc/compatibility/.].
- A Twitter(r) account.
- An email account.
- A connection to a Nuntium server (for more details, see [
You may also need to install a module that takes advantage of the messaging module. The module currently supports transmission and acceptance of simple, one time messages. For more complicated uses you'll need to install a module that leverages the messaging module's API.
What is the messaging module's current functionality?
Currently the messaging module can:
- store user addresses
- send SMS messages
- send Twitter messages
- allow users to manage their addresses and the addresses of patients
- allow users to view sent and received messages
- use nuntium to send and receive all kinds of messages
Currently the messaging module cannot:
- send or receive email messages
- receive SMS messages via SMS modem
- receive twitter messages
- notify listening objects of received messages
- act on received messages (change a patient's record via)
Other things that need work:
- the framework is kind of 'brittle' and needs tweaking
- it has only been tested on Linux
- there are no developer guides for the messaging module on how to implement a new messaging service or how to use the listening/sending APIs
What modules use the messaging module's API?
None currently, but please check back again for more information. If you are a module developer and would like to include messaging functionality, please contact zeshan (at) openmrs (dot) org.
Do I need FrontlineSMS, RapidSMS, or anything else to use the messaging module?
No. Thanks to efforts from InSTEDD we support connection to a Nuntium server but this is not required. At this time, the messaging module does not support direct connection to a FrontlineSMS or RapidSMS installation. The Millennium Villages project has integrated RapidSMS with OpenMRS and may have more information on how to do this. See http://www.childcount.org).].
Are there any alternatives to the messaging module?
Yes. Please see the OpenMRS Mobile page here: [For more information, contact the OpenMRS Mobile Working Group or see http://openmrs.org/wiki/WorkingGroup/Mobile.] for more information.
Where can I get more information about the messaging module?
You can email either the developers' or implementers' mailing lists (see http://openmrs.org/wiki/Community). If you'd prefer a private conversation, feel free to email zeshan (at) openmrs (dot) org.