This could be you!!
Office Hours: Available as needed (please email TBD to arrange for a time)
OpenMRS, Inc is now seeking to accelerate it's growth, in support of the rapidly growing OpenMRS community. The board and executive director (ED) are looking for a seasoned, mission-focused and process-minded leader with experience scaling an organization, through developing a culture of inclusion and performance amongst a group of diverse, talented volunteers. The operations director must be a leader who is able to help others within the organization deliver measurable, cost-effective results that make our vision a reality. Importantly, the successful operations director will have the skills, sensitivity, and personal confidence to tap into the power that each member of the community brings in support of our mission. While it is essential that the operations director bring efficient and effective systems to increase community productivity, is it also critical that the team retain the fundamental community spirit and ethos that has allowed OpenMRS to succeed.
Reporting to the Executive Director of OpenMRS, the Operations Director will lead all internal operations and will have the following responsibilities:
- Working in partnership with the executive director, create the strategic one and five-year plans, and implement new processes and approaches to achieve it
- Serve as the internal leader of the organization
- Coordinate the annual operations plan and budget
- Lead the performance management process that measures and evaluates progress against goals for the organization and the larger OpenMRS community
- Support/amplify the work of the OpenMRS community leadership, who have the following responsibilities:
- Community Management
- Community Infrastructure
- Education and Training
- People Acquisition and Retention
- Partnership Strategic Planning
- Partner Outreach
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Software Engineering
- Architecture and Strategy
- Platform Development
- Distribution Support
- Quality Assurance
- Engineering Infrastructure
- Developer Support
- Content Development
- Product Evangelization
- Product Outcomes Research and Evaluation
- Implementer and End User Support
- Requirements Gathering
- OpenMRS Marketplace
- Implementer Community
- Legal Servies
- As a prerequisite, the successful candidate must believe in the core values of OpenMRS and be personally driven by it's mission. The candidate should demonstrate a passion for social impact and social entrepreneurship. Beyond that, we are seeking a candidate that has proven experience in scaling a virtual organization and a demonstrated ability to both lead and build the capabilities of a driven, bright, diverse team.
- The successful candidate will most likely have had management experience with a not-for-profit or for-profit organization. As noted, this is an organization driven by the values of its people, so experience in managing a “values-driven” organization will be highly prized.
Additional requirements are:
- Track record of exceeding goals and a bottom-line orientation; evidence of the ability to consistently make good decisions through a combination of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment; demonstrated business acumen including successful profit and loss management; the ability to balance the delivery of programs against the realities of a budget; and problem solving, project management, and creative resourcefulness
- Strategic Vision and Agility: ability to think strategically, anticipate future consequences and trends, and incorporate them into the organizational plan
- Capacity Building: ability to effectively build organization and staff capacity, understanding and further clarifying the distinctions between activities of the community and the supportive activities of OpenMRS, Inc.
- Leadership and Organization: exceptional capacity for supporting people; a team builder who has experience in scaling up organizations; ability to connect staff both on an individual level and in large groups; capacity to enforce accountability, develop and empower top-notch leaders from the bottom up, cultivate entrepreneurship, and learn the strengths and weaknesses of the team so as to put people in a position to succeed
- Action Oriented: enjoys working hard and looks for challenges; able to act and react as necessary, even if limited information is available; not afraid to take charge of a situation; can overcome resistance to leadership and take unpopular stands when necessary
- General Management: understanding of finance, systems, and HR; broad experience with the full range of business functions and systems, including strategic development and planning, budgeting, business analysis, finance, information systems, human resources, and marketing
- Solid educational background: undergraduate degree required; MBA or similar advanced degree highly desired