Have you implemented OpenMRS? Please participate in the Implementation Site Survey. If you already have, thank you!
Child pages
  • 2016-02-18 Developers Forum
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

How to Join

 Click here to expand...

By Browser

By telephone

  • US telephone number: +1 201.479.2627

 

Agenda

  • Quickly review previous meeting minutes (5 min)
  • FOSDEM trip report, Google Code-in (GCI) work review
  • Review next meeting agenda

Minutes

OpenMRS Developers Forum 2016-02-18
Attendees:
  • Jamie Thomas
  • Burke Mamlin
  • Shekhar Reddy
  • Daniel Kayiwa
  • Ivange Larry
  • Vishnurao
  • Pralay
  • Michael Downey
  • Shreyans Sheth
  • Wyclif Luymia
  • Suranga Nath Kasthurirathne
  • Ulrich Tchuenkam
  • Darius Jazayeri
FOSDEM trip report (Michael Downey)
  • FOSDEM: Free & Open Source Developers' European Meeting 
  • Brussels, Belgium, ULB campus 
  • This was edition number 16 
  • Free registration, expenses paid for by sponsors & selling beer/food 
  • Estimates of 8,000 people (Univ. limit is 5k) 
  • Food carts & canteen operational during the weekend
  • 569 speakers, 618 events, and 52 tracks 
  • A few keynotes 
  • Main tracks: Distros, Enterprise, Hardware, Communications, Miscellaneous, Office, Systems Administration, Virtualisation 
  • Primary focus: 37 "Dev rooms" for themes, languages, etc.  
  • Pretend you were there!
  • FLOSS Community Metrics summit 
  • This was the latest in a series of meetings of people interested in measuring open source communities 
  • Organized by Bitergia, a research & services company in this space 
  • OpenMRS is partnering with them to run community analytics on their open source (Kibana-based) stack 
  • If you are interested in assisting with this, please contact Michael Downey
  • OpenMRS presence at FOSDEM 2017: 
  • The largest networking opportunity for FOSS people on the planet
  • Mostly EU-based people, but also global leaders in open source
  • OpenMRS people based in Europe, or people who would like to go 
  • Remember the travel grant program for community members going to OpenMRS events or giving OpenMRS talks:
  • Lightning talks? 
  • Can we fit into any of the existing dev room?
  • Contact Michael Downey if you're interested!
GCI Wrap-Up Report (Suranga Kasthurirathne)
  • 2015 is our second year with GCI. 2014 was a trial run, and highly successful
  • Ran from Dec 7th, 2015 to Jan 25th, 2016
  • Open to students 13-17 (high schoolers) - tasks not limited to code, also involved outreach, documentation etc.
  • 74 students completed 180 tasks: tasks are repeatable, so can get a bit boring
  • Highlights
  • Many of our mentors were ex-gci/gsoc students (yay!)
  • Total of 16 mentors
  • Larger participation in comparison to last year
  • Thanks Robbie, Nyah and ex-GCI'ers
  • hightened efforts to cheat, but we caught 'em all 
  • Most completed tasks did not automatically make you a winner!
  • Participants / winners (mostly) from different regions that gsoc
  • Winners
  • Decision making process
  • Grand prize winners: Břetislav Hájek from the Czech republic, and a, Vicente Bermúdez from Montevideo, Uruguay
  • Finalist: Collins Nji, from Bamenda, Cameroon
  • Winners: Alexian, Syed Ahmed
  • next year
  • "Mo" mentors (all GSoC students will be asked to mentor GCI students at the end of the year)
  • More coordinated effort around comming up with gci tasks all year around
  • Questions
  • How can we do better at identifying/tagging small projects/tasks that can wait until end of the year, and go into the GCI queue? JIRA? Something else?
  • JIRA tagging
  • Maybe "gci" to suggest potential issues and "gci-20xx" for items specifically planned for a specific year of GCI.
  • It would help to have a brief description for the community to understand the opportunity
  • "GCI is ... . You can propose tasks by ..." (best if it can fit in a tweet or two. :-) 
  • Can we move up our pre-work before we apply? Timing with Summit is tight. (i.e., Assume we'll get accepted!)
  • Agree that working on things during the time of the Summit is difficult. May want to move up the timing of when pre-work should be done.
  • Was there an after action review with the students? (or is this it?)
  • That is not necessarily practical as students work with a large number of FOSS projects vs. GSoC where they are matched up 1:1. 
  • Is there _any_ mechanism for student feedback to the project (i.e., how can OpenMRS do GCI better next year)?
  • TODO: MD will look to see if there's a way to communicate with student participants throught the new task management site after the tasks are complete.
>>>> REMINDER: GSoC PROJECT IDEAS ARE DUE FRIDAY 19 FEBRUARY 19:00 UTC! GET YOUR FIRST DRAFT UP ON THE WIKI TODAY! :-)
Current mentors: Suranga, Pascal, Maurya, Kumara, Maimoona, Rafal ... who else? :-)
Unassigned projects page: https://wiki.openmrs.org/x/3gFl
Dev forum next week: Project Buendia Update w/ Fabian Tamp, DHISreport WIP  w/ Sri Maurya Kummamuru

 

Transcripts

  • Audio recording of the call: Listen online or download (available after the meeting)