11 March 2010
How To Join
We are using a new teleconference service. Please use the following information to join us.
US telephone number:+1-712-432-0075*
Access code:*707531 #
Before the call begins, add the Skype user ID*freeconferencing. It will automatically appear "online" in your Skype contact list.
- Start a regular Skype voice call to this user.
When instructed, use the numeric dial/keypad in Skype to enter the access code followed by the pound symbol:*707531 #
*Note: If you are participating via Skype, please use a headset/microphone, or at minimum earphones/headphones.
- Quickly review previous meeting minutes
- 1.6 release update
- Discussion on potential GSoC projects
- Jembi team introduction
- Application and UI refactoring
- OASYS project update
- After-action review & next week's agenda
- Note: Daylight Saving Time begins 14-March in the US
- 1.6 release candidate was released and announced yesterday. There were some bugs that had to be addressed which led to the delay.
- No new issues, only waiting on any new issues that may surface.
- Assuming no bugs, a full release could happen by 19-March.
- James Arbaugh may test the RC in addition to AMPATH.
- Darius recommends that we look at a better automatic way to look at generating change logs.
- Burke discussed having a summary and then linking to the the full changelog. Ben discussed how Spring does it. We should have a list of the all the tickets/issues, as well as the summary.
- Darius feels that doing a good summary would double or triple the workload of the release manager.
- Need a database changelog as well.
- Ben may work on a script to export a text file from Trac/JIRA. Perhaps an ant target to print out the subversion change log.
- Pascal Brandt
- Wayne Naidoo
- JCMG IPA Project
- Practitioner Inventory Control Module
- Custom JCMG Admin Notice Board Module
- Sierre Leone Implementation
- PIH Malawi Reporting Project
- Ryan Crichton
- Paul discussed ways to share information about what different groups are doing. We should make time at least monthly to share this information.
- Jembi would like to participate in code reviews and start committing more to the OpenMRS repository.
- Connection in Durban isn't great, which makes commits challenging at times.
- One way to work around this challenge would be to look at something like Git which supports local commits.
- We need to start thinking about ways to deal with this and re-visit the issue.
Application and UI refactoring
- Darius discussed the rationale for the UI work. He sent out an e-mail last week asking for ideas about UI frameworks.
- Portal/portlet application model would be a possible new paradigm, but Spring supports it. He also thinks Wicket is interesting to look at.
- Saptarshi and his colleagues are asking why we need to do a UI change, and prioritize needs.
- Some values for the new approach: Rapid prototyping ability, approachable learning curve for newcomers, resuse of components, appearance, maturity of frameworks, backwards compatibility, etc.
- We could do some brainstorming and rank these.
- Jeremy suggests moving away from having controls in the JSP, and just doing presentation in the JSP.
- Sy pointed to the need to design for degradation in low-end systems in developing countries for the client-side. Pointed to Spring Roo as a tool for rapid development along with Spring 3 for server-side.
Paul reminded us that much has changed much in the 5 years since we started with the current UI. If there's a way to do it better, we need to work as a community to make sure we "get it right" - there's major strategic value for OpenMRS.*We need to take this seriously.
OASYS project update
- Zeshan and Dieterich gave a brief update about the messaging module project.
- Mostly completed with design, with a remaining question:
- What is the best way to store the message content in the database?
- Burke: We want to support an audit trail, retention should be up to the system users. If it's just for auditing, use logging and don't write to the database.
- Darius: Keeping the content of messages is a good idea. Keeping e-mail and attachments, not so much.
- What about MMS (sending and receiving image attachments)?
- Burke: Suggested using complex obs
- Created and finalized a test environment, and ready to begin development this week.
- Dieterich will start committing very soon.
- Zeshan will be out next week; Dieterich will give an update again next week.
GSoC Project Review
Suitable "Unassigned" Projects
- Concept Proposal Module
- Import/Export Module
- Darius & Mike Seaton: Break down to smaller projects
- Move Address and Name Layout Definitions to Global Properties
- Approximate Date Support
- Billing Module
- Radiology Module
- Genome Data Storage and Drug Resistance Prediction
- Encounter Type Hierarchy
- Localization Tools
- Scope: Partial - localize string
- Change Module Sqldiff to Use a Liquibase Changeset file
- Advanced skills necessary
- Refine OpenMRS Module Administration
Suitable "Active" Projects
- Adding "Note" Functionality to DB / API
- Longitudinal Data Review (Discrete Data Flowsheet) Module
- Integration of the OpenEMPI Master Patient Index with OpenMRS
- Global Caching Support for OpenMRS Logic Service
- Win wants to work on this
- Automated "In-line" OpenMRS Web Application Updates
Not Suitable for GSoC
- Module Data Removal
- Too messy, but do-able with liquibase
- New OpenMRS Website Template
- Boolean Concepts
- Integrate the Ivy Build System
- Mental Health Module
- OpenMRS J2ME Application
Completed or Cancelled
- XForms Designer
- Web-based Logging Controls
- WYSIWYG Form Designer for Html Form Entry Module - almost done
- Serialization Service
- Global Property Types - 80%
- Role-based home page
- Audit Module (Data Integrity Module)
- Video Upload and Review From Mobile Phones
- Support for Active Lists
- Integration of the OpenEMPI Master Patient Index with OpenMRS
- Enhancing Patient De-duplication Workflow
- Digital Image Importing Functionality
- Structured Numeric Support - 80%
- XForms in OpenMRS
- OpenMRS Lab System Integration
- Groovy Forms Module
- Facility Data Module
- Integrating OpenMRS with FrontlineSMS (mobile phone software)
- Integration of OpenMRS and DHIS v2
- Integration of OpenMRS and DHIS v1.4
- Integration of OpenMRS and the Electronic TB Register (ETR.Net)
- OpenMRS Transport Layer
- Developer Documentation
- Integrate Quartz Scheduler into OpenMRS
- Data Synchronization: Create New Sync Node
- Integration of OpenMRS with EpiHandy
- LDAP Module - 80%
- OpenMRS Patient Authentication via Hybrid Online/Offline Mobile Phones
- IRC worked well today. People on the phone felt like they were able to speak up.
- Next week will have low attendance due to another OpenMRS meeting.